Monday, September 21, 2009

Soccer Season has Begun

Soccer practice for Ethan and Emma started about 3 weeks ago. We finally saw the fruits of our labor (yes, me driving to and from 2 practices each week dragging ALL the children around is labor!) :) at their first soccer games this past Saturday. Their first games were schduled for last week but we were rained out! It has been raining for about 3 weeks now! Finally it has stopped and allergies and soccer have resumed. Anywho, on Saturday Matt took Ethan to his afternoon game and then had a few hours of 'guy time' together. Ethan came back all smiles. :) I was so pleased to hear that Ethan is now more aggressive in the game this year. Yahoo! That is great progress for him! He always ran around and tried to kick the ball when it came to him, but he was still cautious about getting into the swarm of boys around the ball. Now I hear from Matt that he is getting in there! Go Ethan!

And cute little Emma, I knew she would be timid with soccer because well, that's the way she is in new situations. She did not participate in her first practice because she was so scared. We went that day with her telling me she had a stomach ache (result of her being so worried). I felt her pain, but I knew we still needed to go and at least watch. I knew this step of going into completely unfamiliar territory and not knowing anybody, not knowing how to play or what was expected of her was going to be hard. Well, that first day of practice was hard on both of us. :) It was new territory for me to figure out how to deal with her in this type of setting. She is very different from Ethan in this situation. But I have to say that I was proud of her. Emma did not practice the first day (but I did manage to get her close to the field where they were practicing while she was clinging to my leg...made it easier to get her closer anyways), but the next practice she was ready. Slightly timid, but she went out there with a great attitude and participated and did a good job. I was so proud of her because I know how hard that can be.

So, this past Saturday was her first game. She said she was all ready for it. Went out on the field and warmed up. Was in there for the first quarter....the game started, she looked completely lost and scared. I felt so bad for her! She had been so brave to go out there to begin with! She looked towards me and I encouraged her and cheered her on as she ever so slowly walked towards me. She held it together until she got a hug and just cried! We talked about it, watched the game, saw what she could do out there, talked about what Ethan used to do. After a bit I asked if she wanted to try and play 3rd quarter and she said yes! I couldn't believe it! Yay! (ok to give you background, I was used to Ethan who, last season, when asked if he was ready to get back in the game for the 3rd or 4th quarter would say, "Uh, no thanks!" whaaaa????) It's 3rd quarter, the coach (who is so kind) has put her in a potition to defend their goal. She did a great job! She stood there (which was much less confusing to her) and when the ball got close to the goal, over she ran to the swarm of girls to go kick it out of the way! She did it about 3 or 4 times! It was during this quarter that Matt and the boys arrived. I told him what happened and he was impressed with her attitude and performance. Go Emma!

It is at times like these that it is exciting to me to see which path my kids will take. It is fun to see how they slowly mature and deal with whatever comes their way. Ethan had not been aggressive with the ball for the past 3 seasons, but decided to go for it this time. Big step for him. Emma faced a brand new situation and passed with flying colors. I am so proud of them!

No comments: